It is Single’s day tomorrow (11 November) and when you are single you always get those questions like ‘Don’t you have a boyfriend’ or ‘Why are you still single’ and that can be pretty annoying. Somehow a lot of people think that you will not be complete as a human being with a partner. But those people never think why being single is great. We always think that getting a relationship is the goal for everyone and will make us happy. But everyone is different. There could be a million reasons why you are single and all of them are okay. Because being single is not the worst thing ever. Being single can be a great thing too and some people prefer to be single over being in a relationship.
11 reasons why being single is great
1. You have more time for yourself. When you are in a relationship, you have to spend time together. Which means you have less time for yourself. And sometimes we could use a little bit of me-time. Especially during a pandemic, it is nice to spend time alone and reflect because that is good for your mental health. As a result, you are protecting yourself from getting a burn-out.
2. You don’t have to explain yourself. If you suddenly want to go to the movies, you don’t have to tell anyone. Or when you are eating ice cream in the middle of the night, you also don’t have to explain it to someone.
3. You don’t have to buy expensive (birthday) gifts. When you are single you don’t have to buy gifts on his/her birthday, no gifts on your anniversary and no gifts on Valentine’s day. This means you either save money or you could spend it on yourself and buy something nice for yourself.
4. You don’t have to shave your legs. Okay, you don’t have to shave your legs if you don’t want to but most of us still do when we are in a relationship. But when you are single it is easier not to shave your legs, because nobody will see it in the winter. This means you will save a lot of time every single week.
5. You can flirt with everyone. Flirting can be a nice thing to do and when you are single you can do it all the time. Okay, I would not recommend flirting with a married man, but there are tons of single men/women you can flirt with. It is really fun to do.
6. You can go on a lot of dates. Sometimes the whole dating thing can be overwhelming, time-consuming and terrible. But there are good things too because you will never know if you will meet someone incredible. And this does not mean this person is going to be your girlfriend/boyfriend, but maybe he or she will become your new best friend.
7. You can live together with your friends. Just like the series friends, you can decide to live with your best friends which can be a lot of fun. Your best friend will always be near when you are in trouble and you can start movie nights. And this way, you both will save money because you are splitting the rent. So it is a win-win situation.
8. You don’t have to share your food. What is more annoying than someone eating your food? When you are alone you don’t have this problem. When you bake a whole cake, you can eat the whole thing. When you live together with someone, you (kind of) have to share it. Not always a bad thing, but sometimes you just want to eat the whole thing by yourself.
9. Nobody uses your expensive shampoo. You just bought the most expensive shampoo your hairdresser recommended to you, but you realize it is almost empty again after using it a few times. You find out that your boyfriend/girlfriend has been using it too because it smelled nice. You will not have this problem when you live alone and when you are single.
10. You have a lot of bed space. I am one of those people who sleeps in the weirdest positions and most of the time I sleep diagonally too. And this is fine when you are single, but when you are in a relationship you have to share your bed with someone (most of the time) and that means you have less space for yourself.
11. You can decide what you want to watch. Imagine you are in a relationship and you decide to watch something on a random Tuesday night. Your boyfriend wants to watch the new season of ‘You’ and you want to watch ‘Virgin River’. And then you start arguing what to watch. Well, when you are single you don’t have this problem either. You just watch whatever you want and how many episodes you want. You don’t have to wait until the other person has time again to watch another episode together because you two decided to start to watch a new series together.
12. You don’t have to save for a wedding yet. Weddings can be very expensive and if you have plans to marry your partner, you have to start saving for it. This means you will have less money for other things.
As you can see there are a lot of reasons why being single is fine and can be very fun too. The next time your annoying aunt asks you why you are still single, show her this list and ask: why she is married. And hopefully, after having that conversation, nobody will ever ask you why you are still single and why you are not dating at the moment. Everyone is different. Some people prefer to have a relationship, some people prefer to be single. And if you are single but you want to be in a relationship, don’t worry. Everything will be all right and try to enjoy this single life too.